Wednesday, March 31, 1999

Unnoticed Glory

A tribute to the earth

What is your greatest regret, said I,
He said,"I've turned a blind eye
To the world that color laces
While I painted pretty faces.

"Oh, the midnight sky: of satin blue;
Purple and grey weaving in and out
Sequins of pure white, no doubt-
Unpaintable, I shout!

"What blue has the clear seas acquired?
Sieved light falling through; often admired.
By young on their attire desired,
Unpaintable, I shout!

"The red angry sun soars across the sky
Serene white wisps float away in haste
Splashes of purple, red, and blue fly
As the seething sun falls into the calm seas with distaste.

"She stands, a solitary emerald peak, in
Deep blue silk, edged with foamed lace.
The waves tenderly lap her feet in awe, and her hair,
White clouds of mist, bless the waves with more.

"Me (for it was the old dying man reciting)
I left my Mother's lap, the one who taught me to draw
In whose colors, I should have lived
From Mother Earth's lap, I had withdrawn.

"Of the cut diamond, basking in reflected glory,
The light's beauty of color it steals,
I knew naught, I saw naught,
I refused to see.

"If I had my eyes and another life time to see, I
Would see and see , and drink to my heart's delight
with my colored iris, the colored world of people
And nature, the glorious sight!"
* * * * *
Me, not to forget, standing, listening,
Listening to many a regret
Of this dying man, repenting
That he had not Seen, lamenting

And closing his eyes, that
Yearn to see the unnoticed beuaty of the earth,
But never could; forever and forever.
All he would see now.. was the black void of death.

Oh, To not see during your life
And close your eyes to an unmemorable world-
What greater doom could befall
One who could see; but chose to See nothing at all?

I've lived fourteen years
In this world, and wonder
If I've ever Seen at all.

-Nicky Eira