First off, I'm good. I'm feeling good. I can't believe that's humanely possible, but there you go.
I think the whole issue concerning my dad just shocked me for the first two days, but after that, I was doing pretty well. I really don't know why. My dad's come home for now and I'm happy. I'm spending more time with him than I've done with in years. My dad and I are so much alike and I always love being with him. Daddy's girl? Hell yes =P There are only two people in the world with whom I can share a completely content/fun silence with, and that's my dad and my 'diti-chan. So the last few days have been fun, with me poking fun at my dad and my dad poking fun at me, having downright hilarious discussions about all sorts fo things from coronary artery disease ( that's expected ) to Barbie dolls to M F Hussain's paintings XD It's usually him pulling my leg and annoying me, but HAHA I grew up and got all smart-alec, pulling the carpet from under him =P So things are happy and peaceful on the surface. Note-- on the surface.
I still think he's sort of not-feeling-so-good about the whole thing. You know, the whole I've-lost-my-youth-and-vitality-and-vigor thing. Like I said before, he's usually so healthy that the whole thing was such a shock for him. I expect he feels really old now, because I know I would. I've been trying to get him out of his weird depression-type-thingy, and it isn't as awkward as most heart-to-hearts I have with people (if I ever have any in the first place XD). I keep monitoring his face for any signs of over thinking or sadness and then go and sit with him for some time, joke around, and, well, bulldoze all the crappy thoughts out of his head by pointing out their stupidity, like the way I'd try to headbutt him as a kid =P Oh, most of you won't believe what a violent kid I am to my dad. Similar to the Ichigo - Isshin stuff in Bleach, except the other way around =P
It's so odd to see my dad so vulnerable-- ugh, I can't even use 'vulnerable' and my dad in the same sentence. But then again, it is about his health. My dad is isn't really afraid of anything I know, except anything and everything pertaining to health, surgery, blood, ..well you get the point. My mom's the total opposite-- for such a frightened person, she's really brave in health matters. She wouldn't even blink an eye! Ah, what weird parents I have =P Probably why I'm just as weird XD
Like I was saying, the last few days have been good. For the most part. There's the occasional worry that I can suppress very well, but I'm just hoping everything will be fine until this Friday, when my dad will have an open heart surgery, coronary artery bypass grafting, to be precise. I mean, he's still walking around with a couple of blocks in his arteries, so until the surgery is done, he's still at risk. My mom and I are on high alert for any kind of symptoms. My dad's well being through the night is my last coherent thought before I go to sleep.
Ah, I have so much to worry about, I wonder why I'm still feeling good. I'm not too worried about the surgery, I guess. I'm absolutely grateful to every higher power up there that we decided not to stay at Apollo Hospital when they wanted to admit my dad there, and that we went for a second opinion at Star Hospital, closer home, which is specialized in only cardiology, nephrology, and neurology. It's kind of new, and really clean and neat, with really good nurses, my mom tells me. I don't like Apollo, for some reason. It seems to have a bad reputation for offering the most expensive way as the solution. And not to mention, it isn't as specialized in cardiology as Care or Star Hospital. And guess what? It turns out we used to live in the same apartment as the guy who is operating on my dad. So we already kind of know each other.
Another thing to worry about is my absolutely tactless grandfather -_- Sometimes he doesn't realize what he's saying and just goes on with the flow-- giving my dad unnecessary details regarding the surgery, the mechanics of it, and all types of depressing crap and annoys the hell out of me and my mom. My mom's tried talking to him about it, but like I said, he gets carried away sometimes. But, come on! You're the guy who saw your son faint at the sight of blood when he was a kid! You should know that you can't talk about stuff like that to him! ... Like, a few days ago, my grandfather was like, 'In our time, they'd even tell us the percentage of the block... haven't they told you?' And my mom kept diverting the topic or stayed quiet, because the thing is, we haven't told my dad about the percentage. I mean, would you tell a heart patient he has two 80% blocks and one 90-100% block?? But my grandfather kept pestering my mom and my dad about during that discussion, so when my dad went to have a bath, my mom turned around, all serious, and asked them if they had any sense talking about stuff like that in front of the patient. And then she told them the percentages and asked them to go and celebrate. (Rude, huh? But I guess they kind of needed a shock like that so they wouldn't say stuff like that again).
It did work for a day or two, but time and again, my grandparents' tactless antics are getting me frustrated. Don't get me wrong; I love them quite a bit and accept their eccentricities with a laugh, but their current behaviour around me dad is irking me. Another day, my grandmom brought home these sweets that overflow with ghee and all. My mom decided to put them in the fridge, and not tell my dad about them, because, you know, he'd probably feel bad that he can't eat them anymore. And then my grandmom decides to announce the arrival of the sweets to my dad, and asks him to eat -- 'but only if you want to!'
Nani, seriously?? How could you ask him to eat something like that before the surgery? And rub in the fact that he can't eat them anymore in the process?
Sigh. Ah, my silly grandparents.
I think I'll have a talk with them. I've realized a long time ago that a grandparent's greatest weakness is their grandchild =P I totally exploited that when my grandmom wasn't eating at all while my dad was in the hospital. Man, the crap I spewed that day was phenomenal. I totally attacked in the sentimental angle to make her eat (You have to be strong for us! For Manvith! If you're falling to pieces like this, how can you expect us to be strong?... blah blah blah)
On an absolutely unrealted note, I've been having awesome hair days for a few days, so awesome that I am so reluctant to go swimming and mess it up XDXD See? I totally think Fiitjee's weird hot-cold climate messes up my hair. I was totally losing all my hair until school ended, but it's starting to grow thicker now. And longer! YAY I have *almost* waist-length hair now when I leave it open!
On another absolutely unrelated note, I've been having fun with online graphing calculators, while I was doing functions and limits as part of my math revision. Therefore it isn't surprising that my math is the only work up-to-date according to the stupid schedule our school gave us. =P
The amount of visitors (and fruits) we've been getting is phenomenal (I've been using that word so much today, I have no clue why =P). Sometimes they're so annoying!! The people who come and offer support and good wishes are fine, but the people who start lecturing my tired dad about all types of bullshit are so damn pissing off!!!! Like this oldie who dropped in the other day and almost yelled at my dad, telling him about 'how you stupid IT people work too much' and how 'you don't pay attention to religious discourses' and so on. My dad put up with everything for three days, but he snapped on the fourth when his friend from college came home and starting telling him about the changes my dad needs to make in his lifestyle. His friend didn't mind too much; my dad and him are pretty close, and their discussions always end up with one of them chopping the other anyways XD But now I can totally relate to one of Kaiser's poems, 'I Don't Need Help' :
But sometimes it so happens,
That people who mean well,
Become blinded by their ego,
And continue to sell
Their unneeded help
In heaps,
And incapacitate all means
For the receiving party to live
Life the way it wants to,
And give them the misimpression
That problems exist for help,
And not the other way around.
(Am I allowed to quote from your poems? Sorry if I'm not =P)
The thing is, half the people don't completely know of my dad's condition. They're all under the assumption that he has high BP and had an attack due to stress. Firstly, my dad doesn't have high BP, blood sugar, hypertension, nothing. That's why it was so unexpected. But-- and here comes the big but-- he has high cholesterol now, it's in his genes ( my grandfather has high cholesterol; and he had a bypass surgery too-- hence all the unnecessary details given out regularly =P)
I find it really weird that my dad was so physically active around a month ago (he went walking in KBR park, ran the treadmill test/ ECG without a sweat, etc) and all this while he had blocks in his arteries -_-; I mean usually he show some symptoms right? Breathlessness and chest pain and all?
So like I was saying, all these people who come and annoy my dad tell him to keep his BP under control, to join a religious something as stress relief, and all types of crappy ideas that make an anime-kinda vein pulse in my dad's temple. Well, at least, my temple. =P
So, even though their concern is duly appreciated... SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!
Last link in the chain: All good things come to an end, right? And no, I'm not talking about this not-so-good post; I mean the nice, peaceful, funny atmosphere at home now. To think it will last for only two more days... sigh.
And LOL-- my dad was telling us about the 'religious discourse' thing that old geezer kept blathering about, and my brother thought he was saying 'religious disco' XDXD
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can't see my huge comment..??
Oh well..I'll type it again then...
Ooh ooh ooh guess who understood the bleach joke??? :D
N lmao..u picked a hospital named "star"?? :D
N all the best for ur dads surgery...:)
wow damn proud of U for not bein worried!!
N lol abt the random change of topic to hair n calculators!!! Oh wich reminds me..is ther an app for dat? U checked?
And aren't u so proud of me for reading/commenting widout being told to?? :) :D
Aw, it sucks when that happens -__- I hate rewriting a comment.
You, you and you!! I'm so proud of you for watching bleach XD
Yeah, star =P it's new, on road # 10.
Thanks ^^
Oh dear, I forgot! I'll check right after this.
Yeah, totally. Keep doing that and I'll give you a Star Bunny Lucky Charm Necklace Plated In Real Gold XD
Post a Comment