Thursday, September 9, 2010

Honey, I Bleached My Brother

I never meant for my brother to get hooked to Bleach. It all started one day when my brother asked me what I was reading way into the night (you can't keep any nighttime secrets from the person who sleeps next to you -_- ) and I actually told him.


Soon after that, Shwu-shwu gave me a Bleach poster for my birthday. It was the strangest looking gift-- I unrolled it, saw my favorite character Byakuya Kuchiki, and lost it completely right there. I was almost crying with excitement 'cause honestly, that was almost the most personal, touching gift anyone could give me!


Manvith was pretty excited about it after I put it up. He'd ask me the names of the people on it everyday, and soon enough I had to explain the whole concept of Soul Society to him.


He spent the next week begging me to let him read Bleach.


After a LOT of thought, I let him.


There's been no looking back =D











'Pleeeeeease Monica please please please tell me who they are!!!'


There are two characters missing from my poster (of all the captains in Bleach), and they turn out to be traitors in the most epic twist you could imagine. You can only see their shoulder/hair.


My brother hadn't reached that point yet in the manga, but he knew that the ones out of the poster were traitors (because I told him this way before he even asked to read Bleach. Oops).


'I'm not telling you, Manvith.'


'It's okay! I don't need suspense, na, Monica-- tell me who they are, bey!'


'Get lost, bey.'


'Please, Monica, faaast, I have to go to cricket now! Just tell me who they are!!'


I name my price. 'Twenty favors.'
Me and my brother exchange favors while bribing each other to do something. A favor can be claimed at anytime, including 3 in the morning when my brother wakes up and is thirsty, or needs a foot massage because he has what he calls an 'injury' from cricket. Currently he owes me two, and I owe him nothing XD


'No way.'


'See you after cricket, Manvith.'


He returns from cricket two hours later, ready to take up my offer.


The offer which is closed now, because no way in hell would I ever reveal the plot.











'Captain of squad six?'




'Byakuya Kuchiki!!' Of course he knows my favorite character -_-
'Squad four."
'...Uno.. Unoha-something.'
'Unohana Retsu, idiot. Squad eleven?'


'Bah, her name is so weird! .. Eleven is that Kenpachi fellow!'


'Kenpachi Zaraki.'


Poor guy, he looks so hopeless when I say that.


Two months later? It's the other way around.


'Monica, Monica, tell me.... the lieutenant of squad 8?'


'Nanao Ise.'


'Squad 9?'


'Shuuhei Hisagi.'


'Squad 7? ...This one you'll pakka not know! I-'


'Iba... Tetsuzaemon?'


'... Actually, I don't know, Monica.'


Time to turn the tables. '7th seat, 4th division.'


'Wha... What the .. Monica??' (He doesn't know what comes after 'What the'. XD)


'Now get out and let me differentiate in peace!!!'


'Arre, tell bey!...Monicaaaaa!'


'Hanatarou, you idiot.'


He stomps off. Mission accomplished.







My brother has always been the as-many-questions-as-leaves-on-a-tree type.


Everyday, I came home to...


'Monica, what's his zanpakutou's name?' 'Monica, does she have a bankai?' 'Why do they fight like that, Monica?' 'Haaawwww. He uses so many bad words, Monica! Why does he do that?' 'Why is he even a captain, Monica?' 'Why isn't he a captain, Monica?' 'Monica, tell na, tell me about the whole hadou thing!' 'But why don't you like him, Monica?' 'Why do you like Byakuya that much, Monica?'


Needless to say, I snapped at that one. The next half an hour was spent discussing the awesomeness of Byakuya.


Tell me, how could my brother be anything but a Byakuya fan? XD









Oreo, my dog, is treated as a human being, a member of the family. Obviously.


Yet he's never been called as 'Oreo (insert my last name)'. Partially because my dad 'denies having any relationship with Oreo's mom.'(when my brother said that Oreo was his son XD)


But mostly because Oreo's too awesome for our last name, and we love Byakuya Kuchiki. We've christened him Oreo Kuchiki.


'Oreeeeoooo!!' Not a sound. Where the hell is he?


'Oreo? Do you wanna go for a walk? A ride? You want some food? Some water?' I yell, in the octave I reserve for Oreo, dragging out each syllable so that the words become 'waaaaalk', 'riiiiiiide', 'fooooood', and 'waaaaterrrr'.


Still no response. Maybe he's out in the garden.


'Hey, Manvith, where's Cap'n Kuchiki?'


'Kuchiki-sama is in the balcony,' he replies, with a straight face.


'Kuchikiiiiiii! Oreo Kuchiki, where are you?' I sing as I glance into the balcony. He wasn't there. 'Captain Kuchiki! Captain Oreo Kuchiki!!'


'Captain of squad six, Oreo Kuchiki!!' my brother shouts dramatically.


I turn on him-- 'Abbe, you said he was in the balcony!'


'Captain of squad one, Head Captain Byakuya Kuchiki!' he goes on, not replying to me.


'Kuchiki-sama!' I shout finally, standing on the stairs.


Oreo runs out of my room and saves the day.









Eventually, the Bleach madness led to role play.


Obviously, both of us wanted to be Byakuya.


I argued that I had the hair for it. I even folded a paper into half and then made it into a fan, unscrunched it, inserted my hair between the halves, and posed with my kenseikan. It looked so AWESOME. XD
My brother just sat there and said he was a boy.


The sad thing was, he actually had a point.


I gave in eventually.


We both agreed that Komamura was a waste of time, so I became 'Nicky Eira, Captain of Squad Seven!' some times, and other times I was one of the female captains, Unohana or Soi Fon.


'Byakuya Kuchiki, Head Captain! Nicky Eira, Captain of Squad Seven! Oreo Kuchiki, Captain of Squad Six!'









Usually, when we fought for fun, we just used random long objects as swords. Cricket bats and wickets, water bottles, --you get the point.


Then Bleach came along.


Suddenly, our swords became zanpakuto, and 'fighting' involved a lot less physical effort, and a lot more mental effort. And memory power.


'Senbonzakura!'


'Senbonzakura Kageyoshi.' I smile triumphantly at my brother sitting at the other end of the room.


'Zangetsu!'


'Gokei, Senbonzakura Kageyoshi.'


'Tensa Zangetsu, bey.'


'Sode no Shirayuki, BEY,' I reply in kind.


'Sode no what?'


'Rukia's zanpakuto.'


'Oh yeah.. Zabimaru!'


'Katen Kyokotsu.'


'Ryujin Jakka.' Ah, my brother had upped the ante.


'Benihime.'
'Hyourinmaru!'

'Daiguren Hyourinmaru.'


'Ah, shit.. Houzukimaru!!'


'Shinso.'


'...'


My brother's on a little brain freeze now, so I decide to give him the KO punch:


'Kyouka Suigetsu! Nejibana! Wabisuke! Kazeshini... Tenken! Suzumebachi! Haineko! Uh... Rui.. I mean, Ruri'iro Kuujaku! Suzumushi! Minazuki!'


Thanks to my last Bleach blog post, I'm well versed in zanpakuto XDXD




'...Go die somewhere, Monica.'
I grin and blow the 'dust' off my cricket bat/sword/zanpakuto.









Once in a while-- heck, everyday-- we go high on Bleach words.


We enjoy poking fun at Tousen the most, and after that, Komamura. We went 'Justice, justice, justice!' a whole week, and then 'Suzumushi!' a week after that. 'Tenken' is a colossal joke that somehow starts off pillow fights, and we're really, really high, a single quote from Bleach can set off peals of laughter, and we actually roll on the ground crying. There was this one time I read out Kaname Tousen's quotes from Bleach Wikia in a Tousen-tone-- that made us super high. Sometimes we feel bad for Komamura, though, and cut him some slack =P
Other than that, we also do Byakuya in all his awesomeness-- 'Arrogance destroys the footholds of victory' is one of our favorites. Manvith says it so awesome-ly XD
Then there's a Bleach Rapid Fire of sorts we play. My brother excels in giving me the squirmiest questions-- 'Yamamoto or Tousen?' 'Omaeda or Tetsuzaemon?' 'Rangiku or Orihime?' 'Kenpachi or Mayuri?' -_-
We gabble about Bleach all day long... until my mom comes into my bedroom at ten thirty in the night, asking us to shut up and go to sleep.
After she's gone.. 'But Monica, Isshin is kinda awesome, no?'







Manvith follows his timetable everyday. He's a very dedicated guy:






'Come home from school. Switch on laptop, watch Bleach until Mom yells at me to change clothes. Change clothes while watching. Keep watching till Mom asks about homework. Say, 'Yes, I'm doing it now!' and do it while waiting for the next episode to load. Watch until Mom says it's time for cricket/tennis/chess. Finish current episode and click on the next part so that it will be ready by the time I come home. Come back from said activity and watch it until Mom asks you to have a bath and come down for dinner. Finish episode, watch next part while wearing clothes. Click on next part and go down for dinner while it loads, come back up and watch a few more parts before sleeping. Bug Monica with a million Bleach questions, and go to sleep when she stops listening. Dream about Bleach.'





Of late, my brother's become well-versed with all the hadou/kidou stuff. I have to dodge his spells all day long.
'Hadou 4, Byakurai!' he yells, jumping out from behind my door. What a nice welcome.
'Bakudou 1. Sai.' ... XD yeah, I'm all basic about these things. I don't remember all of them! I've got half a mind to look for a list of all these and learn as much as I can, and then beat Manvith like I do in zanpakuto 'battles' =P
'Go die bey! I'm a soul reaper, I can easily break that one!' he replies, pulling his arms out from behind his back with a fake roar. 'Hadou 33, Sokatsui!' He has this way of saying 'Sokatsui' that sounds just like the Bleach characters. Rukia, to be precise XD
I throw my bag on to my bed and start chanting, ' Ye lord, mask of blood and flesh, all creation.... uh, yeah. You know, that one.'
'No, that doesn't count!'
'Whatever. Hadou 4, Byakurai!' I say, pointing my finger through my sleeve, just like Byakuya in his fight versus Zommari. We love that move; I even saved the whole fight in my computer when OneManga was going to shut down.
'Hadou 63, Raikohou. Chop, Monica.'
Well, shit. I decide to finish this thing off while pushing him out of the room:
'Hadou 90: Kurohitsugi.' (The most recent one used in the manga, so I actually remember it.)
My brother's expression is priceless. I decide to make sure he stays out, so I grin, 'Six rods prison of light. Now leave!' I'm don't remember what that awesome move is called-- once again, it's used in Byakuya vs. Zommari -- but it's enough to make my brother go:
'Damn it.'





There's so much more to the obsession, but why ramble on when I can just say:
We love Bleach.
We live Bleach.
We are Bleach.
=D
Byakuya Kuchiki. 'Nuff said.







Last link in the chain: The Bleach folder on our computer holds 408 files, 5 folders.

3 comments:

Malavika said...

I hav only one word 2 describe both of u...and dat is *obsessed*...u guys r so scary...:P

Nicky Eira said...

Hehe =P
Why can't you catch up with us on the manga? =/ then we could all be obsessed and crazy and high together!! =D
And I'm so glad you finally graced the comment page with your presence, you shy little prick XD

Malavika said...

Nooo!!...I'm not shy....I tried last tym...it dint work...or I guess I was just 2 lazy 2 try nd make it work.:P