So I went the Bryan Adams concert yesterday. Sorry, make that -- 'So I went to the Bryan Adams concert yesterday!! =D '
Some of you may have noticed my recent obsession with the word 'kickass'. How can I spare this situation and deprive it of this word? The concert was kickass. It was 'Whoooooooooooooo' all the way XD
We turned up at Hitex a little early, and my mom was horrified that she asked my dad to get the gold tickets instead of these other ones, as a result of which she'd have to stand for a few hours instead of sit. On the other hand, my dad and I were extremely happy we got the gold tickets, because we were right up in front near the stage. XD There was a random delay in which they kept playing these songs, which, thanks to the combined efforts of Aditi and Steffie, I could recognize. My dad left to get popcorn and other stuff, leaving me with my mom, who was at her annoyed and annoying best. I won't bother covering it up-- when she's irritated, it will piss you off to the depths of hell. My brother is the stupid one who bothers arguing back and ends up crying; I think my dad and I, having years to perfect the technique, go all passive-aggressive despite dangling from the wall we've been driven up.
Anyways, after a little more of this iciness I moved forward through the crowd, dragging along Manvith and thus forcing my parents to come along. (Did I mention that this was my first concert ever? Pity.) And Bryan Adams arrived with a bang of 3 continuous songs-- I recognized only one. That was quite the dampener. I stood there with my arms crossed and thinking, 'Well then, let's see if he can manage to uncross them tonight.' Oh, he did. He made them clap until my hands were sore and red, and wave in the air and what not. So I started with foot-tapping and head-tilting and eventually made my way to fist-pumping and head-banging XD
After that, though, all the songs got more recognizable. The point is, I only know the songs from So Far So Good well, and probably a few more. And of course, it was hard to let my hair down in.. public, if you get what I mean. Especially in front of my parents, god. That's the point when my mind shifted into what I call Army Tank Mode.
Army Tank Mode is rude, blunt, ruthless and harsh; and it pushes me-- nay, forces me out of my comfort zone. I'm actually grateful for it; without it, who knows where I would have landed up- unable to speak to people, antisocial, masochist, mopey, ... eh, the list goes on. Army Tank Mode (hey, I just realized it spells ATM! XD) comes out when I'm feeling overwhelmingly shy. Which unfortunately was the case at the concert.
ATM didn't even need to say anything to convince me. It just launched and I knew that I was going to enjoy myself tonight. There was a little comfort in the fact that my mom has an inkling about my non-straight-laced side, and my dad, well, he was going to have to get to know it. I do realize I'm 17, and parts of me will magically and slowly start to manifest themselves without shocking my parents too much. Slow and steady, that's the way to go XD My parents are still learning about me. It's a never ending process, I suppose, common to everyone.
Enough of this emotional crap, on with the concert! =P
There were churidar-clad aunties with their grown-up sons and grandparents (I kid you not!) all suited up with their grandchildren all screaming and waving and pointing at the stage at every 'you' sung. Heck, why not me?
So I began to sing along to the songs I knew, and even songs I didn't know (you hear the chorus a couple of times, and suddenly you know all the words, you know?) and waved my hands, clapped, screamed, all that jazz. Or should I say all that rock? Oh my god, Bryan Adams live is just as awesome as a recording, and sometimes even better. It was so surreal. I was absolutely enjoying myself, so we stayed until the very end of the concert (my mom wanted to leave. Something about the traffic, she said, but I won in the end). My mom noticed, of course, and poked my dad and was like, aren't you the bigger fan here? Why the hell are you just standing there? So my dad joined in with the singing after that. My brother simply hopped up and down the entire show trying to see the stage. My mom smiled and stood there.
And when he played a few notes of Summer of '69! We went crazy. The entire crowd went crazy. My dad and I high-fived each other (we were so high by then) and I just launched into the song with everyone else. There were so many screams for an encore when it was done. Aw man, it was awesome.
Other songs I enjoyed were (not necessarily in any order) Cuts Like a Knife, Run to You, Straight From the Heart, Please Forgive Me (DUH!), Everything I Do (I Do It For You) (my dad's favorite), Somebody, Heaven, Can't Stop This Thing We Started, and Eighteen Till I Die.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO ALL OF THEM. Preferably live, but if you can't, there's YouTube =D
Then there was this one part where he sung two or three lines of a song, and asked someone in the crowd who knew all the lines to come sing it with him. That was fantastic too. This girl named Priya totally shook a leg (or even few) with him on stage.
Another awesome part was when he asked us to light up the venue by waving our cell phones in the air. It looked, simply put, amazing. So many little lights! It was so beautiful he actually took a couple of photos with his own camera from on the stage while singing. I heard he was into photography as well, on the (Telugu!) radio, earlier that day..
It just went on and on and on, song after song after song. No one was complaining ^^ I wore my super-heels, which, despite the numbness of my toes at some point, helped me see the stage clearly. Sure, I couldn't walk to the car without dying multiple deaths, but it was soooo worth it =P
The lead guitarist ('Fast Fingers') amazed us for a bit with one of those long, drawn-out electric guitar solos, and other antics with Bryan Adams while they sung. Towards the end, after all the other instrumentalists left, he sang without any music and we went crazy, yet again.
*Exhales* Huh. So much fun. =)
Last Link in the Chain: Steffie, I have a bangover. XD
Some of you may have noticed my recent obsession with the word 'kickass'. How can I spare this situation and deprive it of this word? The concert was kickass. It was 'Whoooooooooooooo' all the way XD
We turned up at Hitex a little early, and my mom was horrified that she asked my dad to get the gold tickets instead of these other ones, as a result of which she'd have to stand for a few hours instead of sit. On the other hand, my dad and I were extremely happy we got the gold tickets, because we were right up in front near the stage. XD There was a random delay in which they kept playing these songs, which, thanks to the combined efforts of Aditi and Steffie, I could recognize. My dad left to get popcorn and other stuff, leaving me with my mom, who was at her annoyed and annoying best. I won't bother covering it up-- when she's irritated, it will piss you off to the depths of hell. My brother is the stupid one who bothers arguing back and ends up crying; I think my dad and I, having years to perfect the technique, go all passive-aggressive despite dangling from the wall we've been driven up.
Anyways, after a little more of this iciness I moved forward through the crowd, dragging along Manvith and thus forcing my parents to come along. (Did I mention that this was my first concert ever? Pity.) And Bryan Adams arrived with a bang of 3 continuous songs-- I recognized only one. That was quite the dampener. I stood there with my arms crossed and thinking, 'Well then, let's see if he can manage to uncross them tonight.' Oh, he did. He made them clap until my hands were sore and red, and wave in the air and what not. So I started with foot-tapping and head-tilting and eventually made my way to fist-pumping and head-banging XD
After that, though, all the songs got more recognizable. The point is, I only know the songs from So Far So Good well, and probably a few more. And of course, it was hard to let my hair down in.. public, if you get what I mean. Especially in front of my parents, god. That's the point when my mind shifted into what I call Army Tank Mode.
Army Tank Mode is rude, blunt, ruthless and harsh; and it pushes me-- nay, forces me out of my comfort zone. I'm actually grateful for it; without it, who knows where I would have landed up- unable to speak to people, antisocial, masochist, mopey, ... eh, the list goes on. Army Tank Mode (hey, I just realized it spells ATM! XD) comes out when I'm feeling overwhelmingly shy. Which unfortunately was the case at the concert.
ATM didn't even need to say anything to convince me. It just launched and I knew that I was going to enjoy myself tonight. There was a little comfort in the fact that my mom has an inkling about my non-straight-laced side, and my dad, well, he was going to have to get to know it. I do realize I'm 17, and parts of me will magically and slowly start to manifest themselves without shocking my parents too much. Slow and steady, that's the way to go XD My parents are still learning about me. It's a never ending process, I suppose, common to everyone.
Enough of this emotional crap, on with the concert! =P
There were churidar-clad aunties with their grown-up sons and grandparents (I kid you not!) all suited up with their grandchildren all screaming and waving and pointing at the stage at every 'you' sung. Heck, why not me?
So I began to sing along to the songs I knew, and even songs I didn't know (you hear the chorus a couple of times, and suddenly you know all the words, you know?) and waved my hands, clapped, screamed, all that jazz. Or should I say all that rock? Oh my god, Bryan Adams live is just as awesome as a recording, and sometimes even better. It was so surreal. I was absolutely enjoying myself, so we stayed until the very end of the concert (my mom wanted to leave. Something about the traffic, she said, but I won in the end). My mom noticed, of course, and poked my dad and was like, aren't you the bigger fan here? Why the hell are you just standing there? So my dad joined in with the singing after that. My brother simply hopped up and down the entire show trying to see the stage. My mom smiled and stood there.
And when he played a few notes of Summer of '69! We went crazy. The entire crowd went crazy. My dad and I high-fived each other (we were so high by then) and I just launched into the song with everyone else. There were so many screams for an encore when it was done. Aw man, it was awesome.
Other songs I enjoyed were (not necessarily in any order) Cuts Like a Knife, Run to You, Straight From the Heart, Please Forgive Me (DUH!), Everything I Do (I Do It For You) (my dad's favorite), Somebody, Heaven, Can't Stop This Thing We Started, and Eighteen Till I Die.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO ALL OF THEM. Preferably live, but if you can't, there's YouTube =D
Then there was this one part where he sung two or three lines of a song, and asked someone in the crowd who knew all the lines to come sing it with him. That was fantastic too. This girl named Priya totally shook a leg (or even few) with him on stage.
Another awesome part was when he asked us to light up the venue by waving our cell phones in the air. It looked, simply put, amazing. So many little lights! It was so beautiful he actually took a couple of photos with his own camera from on the stage while singing. I heard he was into photography as well, on the (Telugu!) radio, earlier that day..
It just went on and on and on, song after song after song. No one was complaining ^^ I wore my super-heels, which, despite the numbness of my toes at some point, helped me see the stage clearly. Sure, I couldn't walk to the car without dying multiple deaths, but it was soooo worth it =P
The lead guitarist ('Fast Fingers') amazed us for a bit with one of those long, drawn-out electric guitar solos, and other antics with Bryan Adams while they sung. Towards the end, after all the other instrumentalists left, he sang without any music and we went crazy, yet again.
*Exhales* Huh. So much fun. =)
Last Link in the Chain: Steffie, I have a bangover. XD
6 comments:
Wow. You sure had fun.
What songs did they play while you waited?
Did you realise that all the 'songs you enjoyed' are from So Far So Good, except Eighteen Till I Die? Please Forgive Me is my favourite song by him (as I have undoubtedly told you before), along with Everything I Do. And, of course, there's Summer of '69, which was like our rock anthem when we were kids and, by the way, turns out to have less to do with Woodstock and more with -uh- something else.
As you have probably realised, I did not go, though my parents did. Several reasons, of which one is that I do not have an ATM. :D
Did you know that the cellphone thing used to be done with cigarette lighters?
This screen name is my own, and is similar to the way you sign off. Any idea what it means?
What do you think? Nirvana.
Eh, yeah, I suppose. No wonder I enjoyed them XD
BS. You were studying at home, so you didn't come. That or your parents were convinced you were studying at home. Dude, how could you miss it? It's a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. Like how my dad missed out on Michael Jackson's concert in Mumbai, and now there ain't a chance in hell to see him perform. Unless he went to hell, but my dad isn't planning to go there =P
I didn't know that. Interesting.
YES I know your screen name now! Frilay? Sounds like Frito Lays to me XDXD
Exactly how stupid do you take me to be? Like I'd tell you any of my 'official' ones so easily. No, you'll have to work for the dA one. XD
You're right about the Frito Lays part. Total headbang moment. (eheheheh)
Anyway, I intend my first english concert to be an Arctic Monkeys gig. :D They tour in Tokyo, I'll get a sleeping bag and sleep on the sidewalk. XD
Darn it.
Seriously? I mean, really, the Frito Lays thing is right? Sarcasm doesn't go over that well in text.
XDXD I'll join you, and go manga shopping afterwards =P
You know, I think the best part about the whole concert was that my parents didn't say a single word about my enthusiasm. THAT would have undone a lot of work on myself from the past few years, and had me scurying down the rabbit hole again to hide. =P
When have I ever been sarcastic?
Of course it's right!
Besides, I told you it was similar to the way you end mails.
Yeah, I suppose. ATM FTW! XD
...and if you took the red pill, you'd find out just how deep the rabbit hole goes.
XDXD Red pill, indeed. This is why I think you're awesome. =D
Gesshu? Mail me.
Post a Comment