So after writing the SAT in Bangalore with Nikki on May 7th (I got 2300, btw! =D), we drove to this forest resort in Kabini, a sort of overlap of three different forests from three states. The wildlife there was beautiful, and our stay was was really exciting. My lame photography skills led to this blog post. XD
On the plane to Bangalore
The view from our cottage
The entrance to the forest
A herd of female Gaurs, the largest bovines in the world. Identified by their 'white socks'.
Any guesses? =P

A peacock looking at a peahen (I kid you not. I didn't manage to get the peahen, with this one sitting all majestically and being an attention whore =P).
The Bonnet Macaque
The White-bellied Woodpecker
Another woodpecker, but I forgot what type. I love how it looks, though.
Spotted Dear. We saw so many of them, hence the change in lighting and clarity in the pictures as we moved through the day.
The bamboo that makes up a lot of the forest, especially near the river. I have some excellent foggy pictures of these, that make for wonderful wallpapers.
Cleared forest area near the river.
The Serpent Eagle (Yup, Kaiser, this is the one!). It eats snakes and is badass. =P
Common Langurs
An extremely unclear Wild Boar.
The place where we found the boar, the langurs and the mother-and-baby picture of the Bonnet Macaque.
Random scenery? The first one's my desktop background. =)
A highy edited picture with high contrast.. all for that elephant hiding over there -_-
The Malabar Giant Squirrel, easily identified by its colorful tail. It can jump twenty feet through the trees 0.o
The Common Flameback, a woodpecker. If you zoom in, you'll see the red crown distinctive to males.
Elephants. 'Nuff said.
Back to the resort.
The Boat Safari! The black ones are Indian Cormorants, and the white ones are Little Egrets.
The Great Cormomant
The Spot-billed Duck
The Grey Heron
The White-necked Stork
So I was trying to take a picture of this Painted Stork, and all of a sudden this random bird swoops in. =P I got this guy the second time, though.
The Indian Marsh Crocodile or Mugger Crocodile. It was sitting there with its jaws open, poised to snap up unsuspecting prey... and it has a heck lot of patience 0.o I have like 10 photos of it's mouth open, until we got too close. Luckily I managed to snap it sliding into the water =D
Another croc slipping into the water. You can also find a kingfisher and a Grey Heron in the second picture.
No idea what this one is, but I like the picture.
The Brahminy Kite, apparently also 'the Bald Eagle of India' =P
Now, I've kept all the awesome elephants till the end. We saw the rare phenomenon of an elephant swimming across the river, as well as a young tusker running(!) and charging at a safari van. They move so bloody fast!
The one on the left is the one that charged at the van. Our guide said he was around 10 years old, and therefore just being a teenager =P
Mom and son. I think the little one was around 5 or 6 years old.
60-70 years old.
Michael Phelps emerging out of the water =P
A family after play time. We saw them spraying each other with water and stuff =P
And now for some random scenery:
Photos from the resort:
Bonfire Night ^^
A nest made by leafcutter ants! So fascinating, despite my aversion to ants-- so I just had to take a picture =P If you look closely you'll see the oversized red ants *shudders*
And now two pictures just for Steffie:
The End. =)
3 comments:
Hey, I forgot. How much did Nikki score in the SAT?
We went to Kabini in 2004 with tons of other people. And we actually were chased by an elephant for a short while.
Damn those pictures are awesome!! Especially the "high contrast edited" one! If you can take such nice photos, quit running behind me with the cam and take other stuff instead :P
@Kaiser: I don't remember myself. She didn't tell me the individual scores either, so I just can't remember =P
Group trips are fun. The last time I went on one was when we went camping in San Diego. It just sucks that we haven't been on one in India.
@Ank: But photos of you are awesome! You have all these amazing expressions-- I have this huge collection of your faces on my laptop now XD
Post a Comment