Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Couch and Blankets

The last two weeks have been quite the whirlwind of activity. After the post procrastination panic finally abated, I successfully got work done. I wrapped up all the submissions and went into hibernation for a few days, following which I was busy cleaning the house and moving out. Another week, and I shall be off, interning in Houston for the summer.

I just got my grades as well. I'm glad to be ending such a wonderful semester with As. Also makes me anxious for the next one - I'm planning to take both ML and Algorithms next semester (in other words, certain death) along with a yet undecided course. I'm mostly graduating in December, but once in while I have second thoughts (OMG so want to do AI, and CV, and ALL TEH COURSEZ and maybe project!?!?). Let's see how it plays out. On one hand I feel like I have not lived the lab life here or taken full advantage of being at Tech - being immersed in the work of tomorrow, or meeting amazing people and professors doing fantastic work. On the other hand, I'm recognizing that I can't stay in school forever, and probably need to throw myself out, get a job, earn some money, and begin to build a life. 

Many things running through my mind of late. A lot of decisions to be made - but it is very satisfying to be past the ages of indecision and being unsure. Despite tumultuous events, I feel comfortable and aware of who I am, my direction in life, the values I have decided to keep, and the priorities. I feel optimistic and hopeful. And I feel love for what lies ahead. This is probably something I've said over and over again in my last few posts, but it is mostly the joy to returning to pre-FIITJEE state of mind - focused, confident and "on my way". I never thought I would feel this way again, so forgive the repetition of these facts.

Then again I'm sure tomorrow I'll be confronted with some new issue, and realize I'm not as sure as I thought I was. Like I said, many things to think about of late. I'll need a little luck, and a little help. If I wrote down every single thing I am thinking about, it would be a rather long winded entry, and not an interesting one. But none of my recent ones have been interesting anyways. xD

It has been very long since I've written any meaningful poetry. Mostly because my head was just quiet in that respect. I feel like to write poetry there needs to be, some sort of song within you. Something that spouts words in beautiful order and with rhythm. I'm hearing the song again of late. Sometimes I find myself putting the song together in my head. I hope to write something again soon.

Other than that, I eat, sleep, reminisce, think and dream. Both recuperating and gathering strength for what lies ahead. The optimism is a blanket, protecting me from being anxious or unable to think straight. These are strange times indeed.

Last link in the chain: I want my house back. Living on someone's couch is not fun. Thank god I always insisted on having my own room.

4 comments:

Praise the Lord, Spoil the Child said...

Hooray for all A's. It appears we are very nearly Speedy. (Alas, not so.)
Here's something you can do. Sign up for as many GT courses as you can on Udacity and do them over the summer. I've currently undertaken to do the high-performance computer architecture course (with a bit too much optimism, sadly).

Nicky Eira said...

Oh wow. You are amaze. I shall look into that idea :D How's that course like?

Praise the Lord, Spoil the Child said...

Amaze? Hehe ^_^"
I aim to give that impression, I suppose, but the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Of nowhere, that is.
I've only done the intro so far, but HPCA seems like one of those things that one ought to know. A systems guy, especially. Did I ever tell you that at the party conversation took a turn toward the architectural, and I brought out my usual stock jokes about computer architecture not being my thing. I think Speedy misconstrued them as suggesting that I didn't like computer architecture. (Language barrier and all that, no doubt. Me English, he Spanish.) As it happens, I don't particularly like it. (Not crazy about it, at any rate. Took the third midterm in undergrad with a decent amount of preparation. Scored 18%. This was the exam that caused people on Piazza to publicly contemplate suicide. Took the re-test. Scored 54%. Life went on, I am happy to report.) But that wasn't what I was saying, and I'm pretty sure Speedy came away with the impression that I was some sort of an anti-intellectual of the sort that only the United States ever seems to produce.
Sad times.
Oh well. This course was no doubt long overdue.

Nicky Eira said...

Hahaha. Speedy, Speedy. :D
Very interesting. Have fun with the course.

Sitting at the airport. Just got charged a ton of money for baggage - one was slightly overweight :'( Little bitchy airlines.